This year I wanted to add a DIY element to my Easter table that didn’t leave me with pink and blue stained fingers from attempting to dye eggs. These planted out eggshells were the perfect addition to our dodo vine nests and they were so simple that even my kids could have a go and make their own.
- Empty eggshells
- Punnet of violas (or similar)
- You want eggshells that have the top third cracked off. I found the easiest way to achieve this was to crack the egg where I wanted it to break off by tapping it with a butter knife and then gently taking off the top third of shell.
- Wash and dry out the inside of the eggs
- Take your punnet of violas and split into seedlings with a small amount of roots and dirt still attached
- Drop individual seedlings into the eggshells and secure with a little dirt from the punnet
- Gently water