It’s February – already! I’m somewhat still in disbelief as its seems like yesterday I was amongst a wrapping frenzy pre-Christmas and then celebrating all things festive. January is a good blur, sticking with my commitment to only pop in to the blog once a week and dedicate a whole lot more time to pouring back into the bucket of ‘me’. So I’m back, refreshed, refuelled and SO SO excited, because whilst I was spending a good chunk of time reading books on the sand I’ve been planning and preparing for a BIG year here at Dunne with Style with lots of new things and new looks rolling out over the next 8 weeks.
Today I want to introduce the lovely Penny of Penny Hyams Interiors who will be bringing a whole new love of mine to life here on the blog – homes. I think your home should steal a piece of your heart, it should be a place that silently tells the story of you and your family, but it should also be a place that makes your life simple and seamless – it needs to be functional. I’m all for styling and I’m the first to jump on a shoot that’s elaborate and over the top, but when it comes to my own home and the things about interiors that I’m passionate about, they have to function before they can be frivolous. Each week Penny will be popping in to bring her wealth of knowledge about styling a home that looks good but functions first.
To kick off our interiors edit, we started with our favourite room the bedroom. Ever flicked through an interiors board on Pinterest and fall in love with a gazillion beautiful beds, rush out buy new linen, throw it all on the bed and step back only to be severely underwhelmed. How come the one on Pinterest looked so inviting? We’ll be sharing our top 5 tips for styling a bed today, but first here’s a peek of how we put it together.
TOP 5 TIPS FOR STYLING A BED
- Splurge on some pieces of linen and save on others. Buy your basic fitted sheets and pillow cases that aren’t the features from Target, they’re great quality, they wash well and are reasonably priced. Then splurge on quilt covers and feature pillowcases
- Plump pillows! Ikea feather pillows are slightly larger than standard pillows which makes them great for getting that full and plump look with feature pillows
- Mix it up : look to include a range of different sized pillows and cushions
- No matchy matchy : Avoid it looking like a hospital room by keeping it asymmetrical
- Texture. Texture. Texture : Layering different textures against each other gives each one it’s space to shine. Texture adds depth, which is the bit that makes you want to dive on in to get to the back cozy bit of the bed.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our first interiors edit and you have a room in your home or an interiors topic that you’d love to learn more about we’d love to hear from you, leave us a comment below or pop me an email here.
Peony sphere, Doris stool in blush, Sage & Clare Ilsa tassle blanket, Victor table lamp in white, Ourlieu Paradise Palms cushion, El Linen soft pink cushion, hat stand : available from The Banyan Tree
Colonel mustard quilt set by Hunting for George, Gold confetti cushion by I Love Linen